Opinion: Sexual acts need consent

By Ian Tancun

Further education and increased awareness on sexual assault, and language that promotes it, is needed to end this unacceptable and illegal behavior many individuals continue to be victims of.

In 2005, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump spoke to former Access Hollywood host Billy Bush about his interactions with women and how his position of power enabled him to kiss and grab women by the genitals, both without their consent, according to an Oct 8. video released by the Washington Post.

The legal definition of sexual assault is any nonconsensual sexual contact or behavior that occurs in any situation, according to the U.S. Department of Justice’s website.

Trump explained his words were just “locker room banter” in his initial statement following the video’s release, as if that somehow made his comments acceptable. From his initial response to his continued defiance, it is clear he does not grasp the severity of his comments.

Karen Baker, associate vice president and Title IX coordinator for Affirmative Action and Equity Compliance, said she found Trump’s comments to be horrific.

“Someone of his stature should have enough respect for a human being to simply ask for consent instead of using his power to say, ‘I can do whatever I want’,” Baker said.

She said continued education is needed so college students understand consent must be freely given for each act and can never be assumed.

I’m not sure what locker rooms Trump frequents where this type of language is viewed as acceptable. The language he used and the actions he described are never acceptable in any environment. But his comments shined a light on what continues to be a very serious problem individuals, particularly women, face nationwide.

In the United States, a person experiences sexual assault about every 109 seconds, according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network’s website. College-age women, 18 to 24, are three times more likely to be the victims of sexual assault, according to the website.

These figures are disturbing. Equally disturbing is that Trump’s comments advocated this behavior. It’s unfathomable that any person, particularly the candidate for the Republican Party, who hopes to be elected as our next president, would not only make such statements, but continue to brush them off as typical talk between men.

Baker points out NIU has devoted its resources to create a comprehensive program across the university to educate students about sexual assault, NIU’s policies and the resources available to students who are victims of sexual assault.

“This is a campus that hasn’t taken sexual assault lightly,” Baker said. “Everything we have done has been a partnership across campus… this is not just one office that is taking care of this.”

Domestic violence against women offenses at NIU’s DeKalb campus dropped from 13 reported cases in 2014 to three in 2015, according to NIU’s 2016-17 Annual Safety and Security Report.

However, dating violence against women offenses rose from four reported cases on campus in 2014 to 25 in 2015, while 10 rape cases were reported on campus in 2015, according to the report.

“Any student or individual who has been subjected to a form of sexual misconduct, whether that be sexual assault or sexual harassment, should come forward as soon as they are able to do so and report these incidents,” said Sarah Adamski, associate director of Investigations and deputy Title IX coordinator for Affirmative Action and Equity Compliance. “The more we report these incidents, the more we’re able to address the issue at its core.”

Trump’s frequent comments degrading women and his comments describing how he sexually assaults them are revolting. What Trump fails to realize is words matter.

Sexual assault should not be taken lightly or joked about, as Trump and Bush did on the Access Hollywood video. This is an issue that needs to be eradicated. That can only be done by continued education, by understanding consent is required every single time for every single act and by treating others with the same respect as human beings that we would expect in return.

Confidential advising is available to students who may have experienced sexual assault. Please contact Counseling and Consultation Services at 815-753-1206, to speak with a counselor.