Two to be named ‘royalty’

Rachel Jacob (left), junior history and political science double major, poses with Giuseppe LaGioia, running mate and junior finance major for a photo.

By Darius Parker

Correction: The Northern Star previously reported that two couples would be crowned, however only two people will be crowned. 

DeKALB | This year two people will be crowned and named to the royal homecoming court 5 p.m. tomorrow at the Coronation Cookout in Central Park.

NIU has done away with the terms homecoming king and queen to be gender inclusive. With a full week of involvement from the nominees, candidates still find time to participate in homecoming week activities.

Rachel Jacob, junior history and political science double major, said she is running for homecoming because she loves this campus and wants to represent the students.

Giuseppe LaGioia, Jacob’s running mate and junior finance major, said he’s running for homecoming court because he has Huskie pride.

“From athletics to academics, NIU provides a great experience for all students, and I feel with my experiences and qualifications, I sort of embody this, which is what homecoming is all about,” LaGioia said.

Shaka Ford, junior early childhood education major, and running mate Luke Arrington, senior political science major, both said they were running for the experience.

“I ran for homecoming court in high school and lost, so this [is] me stepping outside of my comfort zone and trying it again,” Ford said.

Arrington hopes he can fully represent NIU.

“To be considered as one of the faces of NIU is something that’s very important to me,” Arrington said.

Anthony Williams II, senior corporate communications major, said he’s running for homecoming court because he wanted to represent NIU at a major capacity.

“Ever since my freshman year here, I have tried to embody the principles of student career success,” Williams said. “My experience at NIU has cultivated my journey and has instilled so many leadership principles within me.”

His running mate Jessica Hamilton, senior elementary education major, thanks those close to her for giving her the push to run for court. Hamilton said she is glad she’s running because she is having fun being a candidate.

“If it wasn’t for my God and the encouraging words from my family and friends, I would not have decided to run for homecoming royalty,” Hamilton said. “I thought in order to run you had to be in a certain organization, have a certain passion, but with the grace of God, I’m running.”

Hamilton said she is most looking forward to the homecoming step show. This is the seventh annual Rep Yo’ Step event, and it will be Hamilton’s first time performing with her sorority, Zeta Phi Beta. The event is 8 p.m. Saturday in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Scene Editor Jay Ibarra contributed to this article.