Junior midfielder takes inspiration from pros

Allie Ingham is a junior midfielder from Arlington Heights and began playing for the women’s soccer team in 2014.

By Atlee Hargis and photographer

DeKALB |Junior midfielder Allie Ingham began her Huskie soccer career as a forward in 2014 and has since transitioned to the midfielder position.

Family and Youth Soccer

Atlee Hargis: You’re a multi-time state champion in soccer at the club level. Obviously that means you’ve grown up with soccer, can you tell me what it’s like to be from a family that’s fostered this love of the sport.

Allie Ingham: It’s really awesome. My dad loves soccer. I definitely got playing soccer from my dad. He’s been my biggest supporter and my hardest critic. He’s at every single game. It’s really nice having someone at home live through it with me. My whole life has been surrounded by soccer. At home I’m a coach as a job, it’s been the biggest part of my life so far.

Hargis: When did you start playing?

Ingham: I started playing when I was four.

Hargis: What was the process like to get involved with club soccer?

Ingham: I actually just went to a soccer camp and one of the coaches for the club that I’ve played for since I was 7 came up to me and asked, ‘What team are you on?’ I said ‘oh, I’m just on a recreational team.’ And they were like ‘you should come out to our club tryouts.’ Turns out, I stuck on the club, the Chicago Sockers Football Club, for more than 10 years. Actually, Lauren Gierman, Natalia Pena and Taylor Fuderer were all in my club, also. So it’s pretty fun to be able to play in college with them.

Hargis: So how did you get to NIU?

Ingham: They all committed here before me, so NIU head coach John Ross was at our games and just emailed me asking if I wanted to come out for a visit. I said sure and I came here and loved it. I loved the team. It’s really close to home. I wanted my parents to come to all the games so it seemed like a good fit.

Working Hard from the Start

Hargis: In your first season at NIU you were a forward and now you’ve transitioned to the midfield. What was that transition like for you?

Ingham: I did play midfield a little bit on my high school team, but it is a nice transition. I feel like I get the ball a little bit more. I do really like playing in the midfield actually, I think it was a good switch for me.

Hargis: So you’re not too sour about missing out on all those goal opportunities?

Ingham: No. I like playing in the mid, it has a lot more action.

Hargis: Half the roster this year is underclassmen, eight of those are true freshmen. That’s quite a change from last year. Can you tell me what it’s like to bring in new people at such a high level?

Ingham: All the freshmen came in. They were really in shape. It was like a seamless transition, pretty much. A lot of them have been in and out of the starting lineup. A lot of them jumped right in. They work really hard. It’s actually helping us out having some fresh, younger legs on the field.

Hargis: One of the things that’s important about sports is being able to take what you’ve learned and what you’ve experienced and put it towards your daily life. Have you ever had any of those opportunities?

Ingham: Definitely. Learning hard work in soccer has moved over to school work. You’re not going to get anything if you don’t work for it. That’s basically my biggest take away from sports. If you’re talented and you don’t work hard, it doesn’t matter, you’ve got to work hard. It’s the same thing in school.

The U.S. Women’s National Team

Hargis: You’re a fan of Heather O’Reilly, U.S. Women’s National Team player. Were you disappointed about seeing her retire?

Ingham: It was pretty sad, but she scored a goal in her last game so it was fun to watch.

Hargis: Is her play style the type that you try to model the way you play around?

Ingham: Yeah, she has got a really high rate of work, and I think that’s one of the most important things about being a soccer player.

Hargis: A lot of people would consider the U.S. team to be role models for younger players. Is that true for you?

Ingham: Oh yeah, that’s very true. A lot of the players have a good attitude on and off the field. A lot of our players follow them on social media. They’re just really positive. They give back. In winning and losing, they keep a positive attitude.

Hargis: Have you gotten a chance to go to a U.S. Women’s National Team game?

Ingham: I’ve been to one game, when I was a little bit younger. I actually have a jersey they all signed. It was something with my club. That was pretty exciting. I got to meet Abby Wambach and Mia Hamm.

Hargis: You still have another year left, but between the last three years have there been any particular moments that stood out to you as being really memorable?

Ingham: One of my favorite moments was when I was a freshman and I wasn’t starting. I came off the bench against Miami of Ohio and scored a goal. It was really exciting to add to the team when you’re coming off the bench.