Fall season over for Women’s Golf

Sophomore Kelly Anderson eyes her target Sept. 24 in the Mary Fossom Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan. Anderson averaged 78.2 as a freshman. 

By Tom Burton

The women’s golf team closed out the fall portion of its season Oct. 3 as they notched a top 10 finish at the Johnie Imes Invitational in Columbia, Missouri.

The Huskies (299-300-293 — 892) were led by senior golfer Lena Gautier (75-77-69 — 221) and sophomore golfer Brielle Ward (75-74-72 — 221), who both totaled 221, finishing in the top 25 individually.

“It was good to end the fall shooting a 293,” said Head Coach Kim Kester. “We finished out the fall very strong today, and I was glad to see the ladies bounce back.”

The team has lowered its average strokes per match by almost 10 strokes since last year, one of the biggest accomplishments of the fall season.

Kester said the teams’ biggest defect chipping, which needs improvement for next spring.

“We’re losing shots from 100 yards and in,” Kester said. “While other teams hit it to within 10 feet, we’re 30 feet from the hole. [The teams] needs to get closer to the hole and create more birdie opportunities.”

Even with the struggles, sophomore Kelly Anderson showed consistency throughout the season.

“Kelly broke out more than what she showed last year because she was in the 70’s every round so far this year,” Kester said.

The team will go through offseason training before the season continues on Feb. 13 and 14 at the Mid-American Conference match play event in Lakewood Ranch, Florida.