Q & A: Senior Mid-blocker

Q & A: Senior Mid-blocker

By Danielle Brown

DeKALB | Senior volleyball player Jenna Radtke has been a key player for the Huskies since her 2013 arrival in DeKalb.

Radtke has put up incredible numbers this season with 81 kills total and tying a career-high 16 kills against South Dakota State University Sept. 3.

Radtke earned her second consecutive First-Team All-MAC for the Huskies after last season. Between traveling to North Dakota and Hawai’i for volleyball tournaments, Radtke took time to meet up with the Northern Star.

Q: What sports did you play growing up?

A: Growing up I played everything. I played soccer up to my freshman year of high school. I started volleyball my sophomore year of high school.

Q: When did you know volleyball was the sport for you?

A: My sophomore year, I didn’t really know what I was doing. I started [with] club season and then it started to click for me, so my junior year is when I knew it was the sport for me.

Q: Who is your favorite athlete and why?

A: I really love Brett Favre [former Green Bay quarterback and 2016 Hall of Fame inductee]. I grew up always loving him.

Q: What is your biggest accomplishment in volleyball?

A: Probably getting a full-ride scholarship here. I worked really hard in high school. Once I knew it was the sport for me, I worked really hard to get a scholarship.

Q: How do you set your goals?

A: I honestly set them in my head. I don’t write them down. Once I have something in my head, I set out to achieve it.

Q: What is your biggest challenge?

A: I think my biggest challenge is myself. I try to live up to my own expectations and when I don’t, I beat myself up about it.

Q: What was the best advice you were ever given?

A: Probably from my parents, family is everything. You do everything for your family, that is what I live for.

Q: Where do you draw your inspiration from?

A: Again, my family. Everyone in my family is athletic, my parents and brothers. I look up to them.

The Huskies will continue to travel as they participate in a Washington D.C. tournament this weekend for the George Washington Invitational. The teams first game is 11 a.m. Sept. 16 against James Madison University. Following the game is a 4 p.m. matchup against the University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers.

Conference play begins at 7 p.m. Sept. 22 against Western Michigan University on Victor E. Court.