Students to compete in annual film festival

Students gather for the Reality Bytes film festival April 9, 2013, in Cole Hall. The festival includes submissions from film students around the world.

By Alexis Malapitan

DeKalb | The Reality Bytes independent film festival will feature high school student films for the third time in 15 years.

Reality Bytes is an independent film festival where films are submitted from film students around the world. This year, film screenings will begin at 9 p.m. Tuesday, 9 p.m. Wednesday and 7 p.m. Thursday in Cole Hall, Room 100. The event will also feature Kevin Mukherji, guest speaker and NIU alumnus, who will talk about his journey as an actor from DeKalb then to Hollywood.

Laura Vasquez, media studies professor and the festival’s director, said she started the festival when she came to NIU in order to create a space for students who enjoyed making films. Short fiction films and documentaries less than 30 minutes are accepted for submission into the festival.

Contestants will range from high school students, to undergraduate students as well as graduate students across the U.S. and all over the world.

“This is our third year of screening high school films,” Vasquez said. “The high school films only compete with one another and the judges determine the best high school film.”

This year, films from Australia and Russia will be shown. The selected films vary in genre, ranging from comedy, drama and animation – all of which focus specifically on strong storytelling. Categories include a “Best in Show” award, a “Best in Show” award for high school students and “Best in Show” cash prizes.

“Best Short Story Fiction” and “Best Documentary” winners will be awarded $300. The high school winners will receive $50 for the best “Short Film” category.

Senior communication major Sergio Gutierrez is a contestant in this year’s Reality Bytes film festival. Gutierrez said he expects an awesome show and is excited to see the different film genres.

“The film festival is [run] by students and the assistance of Dr. Vasquez,” Gutierrez said. “From about 70 films submitted, the students of COMS 493 choose the best to have [a] three-day festival of 120 minutes each night.”

Senior journalism major Lauren Baker said she enjoyed helping Vasquez organize the event.

“I worked with Dr. Vasquez to promote the event through social media and public relations,” Baker said. “I’m excited to see the different student films and students showcase their talent.”