Forensics team gets second

By Julia Martinez

NIU Forensics placed second at the National Forensics Association National Speech and Debate Tournament on April 18 at Ball State University.

Close to 100 colleges and universities and about 1,500 people attended the event where students competed in literature interpretation, public address, limited preparation and debates, according to Ball State University’s website.

Maggie Koll, senior special education major, said she competed in two limited preparation events and two scripted events. She began researching her speech topics last summer and attended numerous conferences in preparation for nationals. Koll said Forensics gives her self confidence in public speaking and researching skills.

“We haven’t done that well at nationals in many years,” Koll said. “So I certainly did not expect us to place second. It was super exciting, and that was the best moment throughout the entire tournament because everyone was hugging, and it was just a great way to end the season.”

Each member participated in two to four events and placed based on points they earned in the preliminary rounds.

Forensics raised funds to attend the tournament by holding bake sales, among other things. The team also receives funding from the Student Association.

Christine Wang, Forensics speech and debate team member, said the team has been funded up to $24,000 in the past by the SA, but this semester funding has been lowered to around $13,000. Next semester, Wang said she expects the team to get around $16,000.

“The Forensics team really needs the funding to function, and we use it for registration fees, travel and food costs because we understand our students are living from paycheck to paycheck,” Wang said. “We don’t want to put that burden on them to prevent the members from attending a competition.”