Victor E. Huskie in contention for Hall of Fame nomination

Prospective students pose with Victor E. Huskie during NIU’s Open House and Campus Tour in April 2014. The Open House — the biggest in NIU’s history — drew in more than 4,000 prospective students.

By Mitchell Spence

Victor E. Huskie has made it to the final round of a poll being conducted by the Chicago Tribune for a Mascot Hall of Fame nomination.

The poll, hosted on the newspaper’s website at trib.in/1tPoxZs, has four contestants in the final round of public voting. The winner will be nominated to the Mascot Hall of Fame. Running against NIU’s Victor E. Huskie is Benny the Bull of the Chicago Bulls, Southpaw of the Chicago White Sox and Tommy Hawk of the Chicago Blackhawks. The NIU mascot was leading the poll with more than 50 percent of the popular vote Monday night.

Morris White, assistant athletic director for marketing and game experience, said he was not aware of the poll but was glad to see fans heard of it and were voting.

“It’s great to hear that Victor E. Huskie is in first place,” White said. “There is a good chance that once more students, fans and alumni learn about this he’ll have a good shot at earning the title.”

Ai Lambogo, senior mechanical engineering major, said Victor E. Huskie is part of the university’s identity for students.

“It’s definitely a morale boost,” Lambogo said. “… It’s our time.”

Maggie Koll, sophomore special education major, said a mascot is important because it’s something all students can get behind.

Victor E. Huskie history

Although NIU was founded in 1895, the Huskie name wasn’t introduced until 1940, following a variety of names, including Profs, Cardinals, Evansmen, Northeners and Teachers, according to an Oct. 10, 2005, Northern Star article.

A variety of Huskie logos and Victor E. costumes were created in late ’60s when the college began competing in NCAA Div. I games, according to niuhuskies.com. Since then, Victor E. Huskie has attended every home football game with live huskies.