Winter Break: What You Missed

By Northern Star staff

Here is what you may have missed during winter break:

NIU Student shot by police

NIU Student Quintonio LeGrier, 19, died from multiple gunshot wounds after an incident with the Chicago police, according to a Jan. 5 Northern Star article.

By Jan. 8, a GoFundMe page for LeGrier’s funeral costs had raised $15,100, exceeding its $15,000 goal.

NIU President Doug Baker said he is committed to finding ways to help prevent violent tragedies, according to a Jan. 5 campus update. 

Former NIU Student Shot in Chicago

A former NIU Student, Joseph Graves, was fatally shot in Chicago by gunshot wound to the head, according to a Dec. 14 Northern Star article.

Graves was last enrolled at NIU in Spring 2015, said NIU Spokesman Joe King.

Two Coaches to Join NIU

The NIU football coaching staff has hired Kevin Kane as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach and Mike Uremovich as offensive coordinator, according to a Jan. 6 Northern Star article.

Both coaches were previously employed at NIU. Uremovich was a running backs coach and special teams coordinator in 2012. Kane previously coached the tight ends and fullbacks in 2011, then served three seasons as a linebacker coach until 2014, according to an NIU news release.

Men’s Basketball on a Roll

Men’s basketball, after defeating Toledo in a Jan. 12 game, fell to Western Michigan on Saturday, breaking their seven-game winning streak and putting their record this season at 14-3.

Four Huskies were ejected early in the game, according to a Jan. 19 Northern Star article.

The Huskies will face off against Central Michigan at 7 p.m. today at the Convocation Center.

Huskies fall 55-7 to Boise State in Poinsettia Bowl

The Huskies ended their season with a 55-7 loss to the Boise State Broncos at the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 23.

The Huskies have made it to eight consecutive bowl games and 10 in the last 12 years. They last played in the Poinsettia Bowl in 2013 against Utah State, falling 21-14, according to a Dec. 3 Northern Star article.