InFocus: How can the university become more environmentally friendly?

By Northern Star staff

Hanna Markezich

NIU is already making an effort to be environmentally friendly — it’s students who are needed to accomplish this goal.

There are classes and student organizations to educate people on what we can do. As a fellow student of the environmental studies program, I encourage others to learn more.

The Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy (ESE) is a huge contribution for our environmental knowledge on campus. Through this program, a student can learn about the human impact and what we can do to reduce our activity. A current example is the amount of vehicle traffic on campus. By offering more public transportation and bikes, students would emit less carbon dioxide into the air.

Students who want to protect our environment should get involved with these organizations: Committee for the Preservation of Wildlife, Green Paws Environmental Alliance, Illinois Lakes Management Association and NIU LEED. The goal of these organizations is to teach students how to live a sustainable life while enjoying a clean campus.

One easy step is to turn off your electronics when you are not using them. In the dining halls, eat smaller portions. Please make sure you reuse water bottles and recycle old ones.

It is a challenge, but thanks to the efforts of students and faculty, the university is changing.

ESE needs more students to be involved though. We are the future, and no one wants to live in trash.

Kaylyn Zielinski

Professors and students should be required to do things electronically as much as possible, both to be environmentally friendly and to save money. Some professors have their students turn in paper copies of their assignments. They should instead have students turn in assignments through Blackboard or email.

Likewise, instead of handing out papers in class, professors should upload them to Blackboard for students to access through their devices. Many students have some sort of device in which they can access Blackboard, whether it be a smartphone, tablet or computer, so encouraging students to use them to take notes could also reduce the amount of paper being used.

Other universities like The City University of New York have changed their water fountains to hydration stations. These stations make it easier for students to refill reusable water bottles and it cuts down on plastic bottles being thrown away. There were 40,000 fewer plastic bottles used over a six month period after installing the hydration stations, according to the City University of New York.

NIU implemented more than 25 hydration stations in some buildings including the Recreation Center, New Residence Hall, Gilbert Hall and the Holmes Student Center, Blackhawk Cafeteria, through its H202Go water sustainability campaign, according to an NIU Today news release.

Students should lean toward using the stations rather than buying plastic water bottles from vending machines.

Kara Mercer | @KaruhhMarie

NIU has completed 11 phases of performance contracts with Energy Systems Group — a group that develops sustainable energy solutions, according to the NIU website. Since 2000, the university has saved almost half the electricity, 34.84 percent of CO2 admissions, and 37,972 gal of water.

These changes are a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done.

NIU has switched to solar heating systems for water in the indoor swimming pools in Anderson and Gabel halls. The university was also presented with a solar-powered golf cart, and I would like to see more of those golf carts around campus since it is a popular form of transportation on football game days. Solar power technology should be utilized to further the reduction of CO2 admissions in more areas of the university.

The Energy Systems Group offers solutions for buildings to become more energy efficient, so there should be an effort to make NIU more energy efficient.

A lot of my classes involve printing papers I have written to turn them in online and in class. I also have to print out some homework assignments when I could just as easily turn them in online. Professors should be educated on how to reduce the amount of paper their classes require so students don’t need to print as many things and end up creating more paper waste.

Ultimately, more research should be done to find ways to take the environmental efficiency of NIU a step further to protect the state of the campus, community and our planet.