DeKalb seeks student interns

DeKalb has resumed its search for two NIU student interns after the Illinois budget impasse left it with less state funding.

The city budget, when reviewed last month, was determined to be able to accommodate the internship positions as they were both considered low risk, said Cathy Haley, DeKalb finance director. The internships will place one hire in the civil engineering department and the other in the fire department.

“We are partnering with NIU to create opportunities for students looking to further their careers,” said city engineer John Laskowski.

Both internships are part time, and interns are expected to work 15 to 20 hours per week with pay starting at $13.50 an hour.

Jaylan Route, senior public health major, interns at the Family Service Agency of Dekalb County and says interning is a very important aspect of resume building.

“My internship has helped me understand my major better,” Route said.

Applications will be reviewed starting Nov. 30. Go to the “Jobs Center” at cityofdekalb.com to view job descriptions and apply.

Civil engineering internship

Interns will work closely with Laskowski in the civil engineering internship.

Responsibilities and job duties include testing of various concretes in the engineering lab, collecting traffic data and performing calculations for recent water main projects, according to a job posting on the city of DeKalb website.

“DeKalb has a materials lab, which is something not a lot of municipalities have,” Laskowski said.

The engineering department is looking for an individual that understands CADD mapping computer system and GIS procedures, but these skills are not required, Laskowski said.

The internship “gives the student an advantage,” Laskowski said. “It demonstrates to future employers that the student has had professional experience.”

Fire department internship

The fire department internship is for an individual pursuing a degree in public administration, business administration, fire science, emergency management, or a related field, according to the job posting.

“This is a new and unique position in the DeKalb Fire Department,” said DeKalb Fire Chief Eric Hicks. “It opens students up to the business atmosphere of a fire department.”

Job duties include assisting with the coordination of the fire prevention program, entering data of building pre-plan information into the firehouse database, and creating site plans using APEX software, Hicks said.