Women’s soccer falls to 2-9 after winless weekend

By Raven Boyd

Women’s soccer (2-9, 1-3 MAC) fell to Ohio (4-6, 2-1 MAC) 2-1 in its first double overtime loss in three seasons.

Ohio

NIU had five corner kicks to Ohio’s two, but neither team was able to score in the first period. The Huskies finished the half with a yellow card on freshman midfielder Emilie Furuseth Haugan in the 40th minute.

Sophomore midfielder Lauren Gierman scored the first goal of the game and her third on the season in the 52nd minute. The Bobcats went on to score in the 60th minute, bringing the game to a 1-1 tie. The goal was scored by junior forward Alexis Milesky and assisted by freshman forward Stephanie Rowland.

“They felt like they were doing everything right, and they were,” said head coach John Ross.

The Bobcats entered overtime with a yellow card in the first minute on sophomore forward Kelley Zebrowski. The Huskies did their best to create opportunities in one on one match ups while “containing one or two dangerous situations,” Ross said.

The Huskies were unable to convert their final corner kick opportunity in double overtime. Rowland received a yellow card in the 104th minute and went on to score her fourth goal on the season a minute later. Rowland’s goal secured the Bobcats win with a final score of 2-1.

The last time the Huskies lost in double overtime was against Central Michigan in October 2012.

Kent State

The Huskies finished the weekend with a 7-3 loss against the Golden Flashes on Sunday.

NIU put the first points on the board as freshman forward Taylor Sarver scored in the 18th minute. Sarver was assisted by senior forward Nicole Gobbo.

Junior forward Jenna Hellstrom scored her ninth goal on the season for Kent State in the 20th minute. The Flashes totaled three additional goals in the first half. The Huskies had no corner kicks in either half.

The Huskies picked up 12 fouls in the second period compared to just two in the first. Gobbo scored a goal for the Huskies in the 50th minute, assisted by Lauren Gierman. This was the last goal scored by the Huskies. The Flashes added to their lead as redshirt sophomore forward Doni Capehart scored the final three of Kent State’s seven goals.

NIU will move on to play Akron (4-7-1, 1-3 MAC) at 7 p.m. Friday at the NIU Soccer and Track and Field Complex. The Huskies will finish the weekend against Buffalo (6-4-1, 2-1 MAC) at 11 a.m Sunday in Buffalo, N.Y.