InFocus: How can NIU diversify its curriculum?

By Northern Star staff

Angela Pagan, columnist

I think there are a few steps the university could take in order to diversify the curriculum. One step I think is extremely important that NIU forgets at times when conducting surveys or implementing new programs is getting student input. While hiring a task force or qualified person to specifically handle diversity issues is a smart move, the University needs to remember that the whole point of these improvements is to better the experience for students. If the whole point of working to diversify the curriculum is to make students more comfortable and happy with their time at NIU then why not actually ask them their opinion. The university could put out a survey or hold an event where students can say exactly what aspects of the curriculum need diversifying and ideas they have to improve diversity.

Abby Zaccaria, columnist

NIU offers a wide variety of courses and requires students to take courses from a number of different areas of study to fulfill their core competency requirements for graduation; however, while there are some courses about different cultures and diversity, there are not enough of them. In order to further diversify the curriculum, NIU could add more courses about the LGBT community, sexuality and the cultures of other countries. In addition, NIU should add some of these courses to the core competency requirements or narrow down the field of interdisciplinary studies and put them in there. This way students can get a more diverse education and appreciate groups that are different than they are. Doing these things will help to make NIU a more inclusive and accepting campus.