Check out the 10 most-read Northern Star stories of 2014-15

By Kelly Bauer

Catch up on the news and columns you missed this academic year by checking out the 10 most-read Northern Star stories.

If you’re interested in all the news — and there was quite a bit in between the Huskies losing at Homecoming and the university implementing program prioritization — scroll to the bottom for a timeline of the year’s biggest stories.

Hover over this graph’s bars for the headline of the story or scroll down for links to each story.

Read the stories here:

10. NIU pushes to enforce off-campus party rules

Students and Greek Life leaders have mixed feelings about the recent enforcement of rules for organization-sponsored off-campus parties.

Rules limit how many people can be at a party, how much attendees can drink and how long the party can last, among other things. Student Involvement and Leadership Development relies on student organization leaders to be proactive in following rules for social events — some long-established and others created last fall, said Dain Gotto, senior associate director for Student Involvement and Leadership Development.

This spring, the department started doing random compliance checks, Gotto said.

9. Football’s Chad Beebe breaks arm during MAC Championship game

Chad Beebe, sophomore wide receiver/punt returner, was injured during the MAC Championship game at Ford Field in Detroit.

Beebe was reported to have a broken arm sustained on a punt return. He was removed from the field with an air cast on his left arm during the first quarter.

8. Consultant Ron Walters paid $460K in 18 months, even without scheduled work

Ron Walters, who provided consulting services to NIU President Doug Baker until Dec. 31, was paid more than $460,000 during 18 and a half months, even when records indicate he didn’t have scheduled work.

Walters’ salary varied throughout his time at NIU, but he was paid every two weeks, even when his work calendar showed he did not have work for NIU scheduled for days or weeks at a time. NIU also reimbursed Walters for travel against state regulations.

During his time at NIU, Walters, who did not respond to repeated requests for comment, worked with Baker on creating the Master Plan Thesis and Bold Futures Workshops.

7. Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 the Wait 2” lyrics unoriginal in being obscene, sexist, but tape has catchy snaps

Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 the Wait 2” is anything but fresh.

The mixtape is filled with eerie, uncomfortable sounds accompanied by lyrics about sex, drugs and twerking. “Sorry 4 the Wait 2” serves as an apology to his fans for the delay of Wayne’s ninth album, “Tha Carter V.”

6. Rauner proposes $29.3 million state funding cut to NIU

Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner proposed a budget that would cut state allocation to NIU by $29.3 million.

5. DeKalb man stabbed ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend after forcing his way into her bedroom: cops

A DeKalb man forced his way into his ex-girlfriend’s bedroom and stabbed her current boyfriend several times, according to a police news release.

4. Voice of Change ticket disqualified from 2015 SA executive election

The Voice of Change ticket was disqualified from the 2015 Student Association executive election March 26 due to three sanctions against the ticket.

3. DeKalb Tattoo Company to give $20 tattoos to help tornado victims

Nick Misitano, owner of DeKalb Tattoo Company, will give $20 tattoos to benefit victims of an April 9 tornado.

2. Students go too far with sex, drug use on Huskie_snaps

The amusing but raunchy Snapchat group huskie_snaps has reached 5,000 views despite its graphic content.

1. Video depicting DeKalb car accident has more than 8,000 views

A DeKalb man recorded a video of an accident involving a man charged with driving under the influence at the intersection of Pearl Street and Lincoln.

Check out all the biggest stories from the 2014-15 academic year with this timeline: