Club allows all students to join 1st percussion contest

By Deanna Frances

Percussion Club will hold its first annual drum set competition to promote the club as an organization for all students.

Students of any major can participate in the competition, which takes place 8 p.m. today in the College Grind in the Holmes Student Center. The winner of the competition will receive a Crescent cymbal.

“We opened it to the entire university,” said Alexis Lamb, Percussion Club president and senior music education and percussion performance major. “Students can come out and show their drum set skills.”

Lamb said members of the club came up with the idea for a drum set competition after Matthew Aubeuf, Percussion Club vice president and graduate percussion performance student, mentioned his undergraduate school, State University of New York at Fredonia, held a similar competition.

“The Percussion Club has been around a long time, but this is the first time that we’ve allocated funds to go towards a drum set competition,” Lamb said.

Lamb said the competition will be judged by three percussion faculty from the School of Music: Greg Beyer, Mike Mixtacki and Rodrigo Villanueva.

Aubeuf said members planned the event together and used club funds to sponsor the event and prize.

“Essentially, we got people to register, then found the venue and the final step was registering the prize,” Aubeuf said.

Participating students are required to play a set with two styles of music, said Noel Henniger, junior music education and percussion performance major.

Henniger said the competition will be fun to watch.

“I think it’s fun to listen to some live music,” Henniger said. “It’s a relaxed environment; you can bring your friends and you can play if you want to, but you don’t have to.”