Student-parents out of options if centers close

By Kelsey Brown

Student-parents won’t have affordable childcare resources if nearby centers have to close down because of state funding problems.

At least 200 NIU students use the Department of Human Services’ Childcare Assistance Program, which provides low-income families with affordable childcare, according to a March 2 Northern Star article. Providers in DeKalb County using the childcare program could close unless the General Assembly passes a $278 million supplemental budget, according to Illinois Action for Children’s website.

Childcare centers closing would mean student-parents, like myself, would not have day care options when at work or school.

“That is the question of how does the family respond to that?” said State Rep. Robert Pritchard (R-Hinckley). “If they have an extended family … there might be alternatives, but if the family doesn’t have connections … they’re going to really be struggling … .”

Students endure bumps in the road all the time, but this budget shortfall will create more financial stress for those with a bump in the belly who rely on DeKalb’s childcare programs. Student-parents who utilize programs like Community Coordinated Child Care may have problems affording other programs. Community Coordinated Child Care, 155 N. Third St., is a non-profit social service agency that offers services like childcare financial assistance and parent education. Parents pay a monthly fee depending on what they need.

Gov. Bruce Rauner’s plan to stop unnecessary spending is good, but it will cost student-parents too much money when there aren’t anymore affordable resources.

My story

My fiance and I had out first baby, Julian, almost nine months ago while we were completing our undergraduate degrees in hopes of pursuing graduate school.

While my fiance, Steve, will graduate in May and begin his three-year doctor of physical therapy program, I will be here a little longer to complete pre-med requirements in addition to my bachelor’s of science in psychology degree.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to be a good medical student while being a good mother without childcare to help me and my family when that time comes? Although Julian’s grandma is able to come out once a week this semester to help out and visit her grandson, it isn’t something my family can depend on long term and for more than once a week. Our family members have lives, too, and most of them don’t live nearby.

We are eligible for assistance from resources like Community Coordinated Child Care, but that doesn’t help if lack of funding won’t allow us to use it. That poses problems when our classes conflict with someone being at home with our son at all times.

Even with two parents in the home, I can’t imagine how we could pursue graduate programs if we needed to rely on affording expensive day care.

Other student-parents fear losing access to childcare means being pulled further from their role as primary caregiver and student.

Lindsey Loos’ story

Alumna Lindsey Loos said she wants to pursue graduate school after the birth of her daughter. Her due date is April.

Loos said the budget shortfall and the possibility of childcare centers being closed is discouraging because her daughter can’t be with family every day when Loos is at school.

“I’m going to school so I don’t need assistance anymore … so I can have a career where I can support myself and support my child …,” Loos said. The childcare centers closing interferes with supporting her family “because it’s taking more money out of me. I am going to have to work more, which causes problems because I’m not spending enough time with her. There are problems either way.”

Solution

Our childhood fantasies of achieving the American dream did not entail living off government assistance. But, financial instability is what is going to happen if these affordable childcare resources close.

Students need to pay attention to what’s going on and who is representing them. They need to be informed and be involved in choices during election time, and if they aren’t already voting they need to start.