Senate supports interfaith space

Student Trustee Paul Julion discusses a recommendation approved by the Board of Trustees, which aims to enhance cellphone signals on campus in “dead areas,” such as New Residence Hall and DuSable Hall, Sunday night at the Student Association Senate meeting in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room. 

By Margaret Maka

The Student Association Senate voted Sunday to support an interfaith space at NIU as part of a collaborative effort between the Senate and Better Together.

Better Together, an organization approved by the Senate Nov. 7, is an interfaith association aimed at promoting cooperation between all religious and nonreligious groups on campus. Better Together President Ellie Evans said the interfaith space is one of many interfaith initiatives on campus.

SA Senator Afreen Warsi, vice president of Better Together, said the short-term goal for the group is to get an interfaith space, ideally about 800-1,000 square feet, established in a central location on campus.

“It will create a place where students can go pray, worship, meditate, reflect or learn about different religious or nonreligious beliefs,” Warsi said.

Better Together’s long-term goal is to establish an interfaith resource center to provide students with what they need to engage in their religious or non-religious practices, including things like prayer mats, candles, meditation space to engage in whatever form of worship a student chooses and conference rooms for any religious or nonreligious groups on campus that need a place to meet, Warsi said.

Student wouldn’t need to hold any religious belief to use the interfaith resource center, Warsi said, adding that any student who’s interested in learning about religions and belief systems is welcome.

The vote to support the interfaith space at NIU was approved almost unanimously by the Senate, barring one abstention.

Other business

Student Trustee Paul Julion announced a recommendation approved by the Board of Trustees will aim to enhance cellphone signals on campus in places with “dead areas,” including the basements of the New Residence Hall and DuSable Hall.

SA Senator Cody Sheriff, chairman of the Campus Life and Greek Affairs Committee, said the committee is looking at decreasing the age of entry for bars in DeKalb. Sheriff said the committee isn’t trying to change the drinking age, but wants the entry age lowered to give underage students an additional space to socialize. SA Senator Greg Lezon will spearhead the initiative, Sheriff said, and the committee is looking at how the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign sets its bar entry age at 19 years old. Lezon said the committee will aim for the new entry age to be 20 years old so freshmen have a chance to acclimate academically before attending the bar scene.

Scott Chan, senior rehabilitation services major, was elected senator-at-large. Chan said suffering a brain aneurysm in high school inspired him to be a voice for other students at NIU with disabilities. Chan was approved by a unanimous vote.

A resolution to approve NIU’s first Badminton Club was approved unanimously. The club, which has 20 to 25 members, aims to give students a place to play badminton and improve their skills.