Assign homework only once a month

By Mohammed Taha Farid

For some students, homework is a piece of cake; for others, submitting weekly assignments is a repetitive, frustrating and problematic cycle.

Homework should be assigned on a monthly basis, especially if the coursework requires extra reading and research. Depending on the number of credit hours and type of courses they take, students receive three or four assignments per week. They’re also expected to work a part-time job or assistantship or have an internship, study, socialize and eat.

Even a small disturbance or change in timing shakes the whole schedule. Students can and should raise this issue with faculty if they’re having problems.

“I’m sympathetic and I also graduated from Northern many years ago; so, I’ve been on both sides of the desk …,” said Norman Goldstein, executive-in-residence in the Department of Finance. “In some my classes I have regular assessments or quizzes … . In other classes, I really don’t give any homework other than I do have some two or three case projects … . If you have a special situation … at least talk to the professor.”

Subjects that are essential for students and will assist them in their post-graduation careers should be the ones with monthly assignments. These shouldn’t be unnecessarily complicated or overwhelming; they should prepare the students or at least give them an idea about the functioning of a work environment, which many assignments don’t address. They seldom represent real-world scenarios.

“As far as the homework we have, I do feel like it is a lot, it is overbearing sometimes … . Since I’m a senior, I have gotten used to it, but sometimes it does gets a little overwhelming,” said Alonte Holliday, senior communication and political science major. “I think a proper plan is to get [professors] talking to students … but at the same time, I do feel like there should be special cases where you know homework should be turned in a little bit later.”

College assignments should be fulfilling and educational, not terrifying and burdensome.