Football suppresses Rebels’ comeback attempt


Redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare throws the ball during Saturday’s 48-34 victory over the Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. Hare went 18-of-28 for 285 yards and three touchdowns through the air and carried the ball 14 times for 74 yards and one touchdown.

By Frank Gogola

Football scored the game’s final two touchdowns en route to its third win in as many games this season.

The Huskies (2-0) beat the Nevada-Las Vegas Rebels (1-2), 48-34, Saturday at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. The win upped the Huskies’ all-time record against the Rebels to 4-0.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Drew Hare tossed a 54-yard touchdown to wideout Da’Ron Brown with 8:23 to play, and tailback Cameron Stingily rushed into the end zone from 2 yards out with 1:56 remaining to seal the victory for the Huskies.

“We knew it was going to be a four-quarter battle,” said head coach Rod Carey, according to a news release. “I’m proud of our guys. They fought through adversity. Give [UNLV] credit; they fought back and played a heck of a third quarter. Give us credit; we made plays when we had to.”

Hare finished 18-of-28 for 285 yards and three touchdowns through the air. He carried the ball 14 times for 74 yards and one touchdown.

Stingily tallied 17 carries for a team-best 102 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

Brown hauled in six passes for a team-high 138 yards and one touchdown, which proved to be the game-winner.

The Huskies led the Rebels 31-12 with 7:06 to play in the third quarter after senior kicker Tyler Wedel connected on a career-long 45-yard field goal.

But, the Rebels pulled the game within five points, 31-26, with two touchdowns in less than five minutes. Quarterback Blake Decker found wideout Devante Davis for a 53-yard touchdown pass, and tailback Shaquille Murray-Lawrence recorded a 2-yard touchdown run.

Wedel stretched the Huskies’ lead to 34-26 on a 33-yard field goal 3:49 into the fourth quarter, but Murray-Lawrence rushed into the end zone from 9 yards out to knot the score, 34-34, with 9:18 left in the game before the Huskies finished the scoring.

The Rebels shot out to a 3-0 lead with a 25-yard field goal on the game’s opening drive, but the Huskies responded with a 15-play, 76-yard drive capped off by a 5-yard touchdown romp by Stingily.

The Huskies were then tabbed for a safety on their next possession as Desroy Maxwell was called for a chop block in the end zone to make the score 7-5 in favor of NIU.

NIU pushed its lead to 21-5 at the half, as Hare connected with Keith Harris Jr. on a 12-yard touchdown pass and Juwan Brescacin on a 10-yard touchdown strike.

Hare opened the scoring in the second half with a 12-yard touchdown run. But, the Rebels answered less than two minutes later with a 26-yard touchdown pass from Decker to Davis to make the score 28-12.

Wedel pushed the lead to 31-12 with a field goal. The Rebels began a comeback, but the Huskies pulled away late, scoring the game’s final two touchdowns to cement the win.