SA Senate approves of gen. ed changes

By Lauren Cliffe

The Student Association Senate passed a resolution to approve NIU Progressive Learning in Undergraduate Studies, a general education reform program, Sunday.

Brandon Phillips, a member of the NIU PLUS task force; Anne Birberick, vice provost of Academic Affairs; and general education coordinator Michael Kolb gave a presentation on NIU PLUS to the Senate. The NIU PLUS plan would increase the flexibility of the university’s general education requirements by decreasing the number of credit hours needed to fulfill general education requirements. It would also allow students to use credit earned from their courses toward their general education and major requirements.

The program would also allow certain extra and co-curricular activities to appear on students’ transcripts if the activity significantly contributes to the student’s education. The Senate’s resolution to approve NIU PLUS was passed unanimously.

Old business

A bill to amend the bylaws of Campus Recreation to change a title within the department was passed unanimously, as was a bill that requires the SA Senate seek approval from the SA treasurer before supplemental funding is given to a group.

“Previously, the treasurer wasn’t required to be part of this review process,” said Ben Donovan, SA director of governmental affairs. “We just made a slight structural change to the bylaw process.”

Cabinet reports

SA President Joe Frascello spoke briefly about plans to implement the “It’s On Us” campaign on campus. The campaign would raise awareness about sexual assault on campus and take steps to prevent incidents of sexual assault.

Frascello also said voting for the SA Supreme Court will take place at the next Senate meeting on Sunday.

Brett Williams, SA director of mass transit, said Huskie Buses will be moved back to their original location on the west side of the Holmes Student Center starting today. Buses 6 and 7 will remain on Normal Road.

Bill Nicklas, vice president for Operations and Community Relations, said the university does not plan to reconstruct the speed bumps on Normal Road until after discussion between NIU and DeKalb about closing Normal Road to all traffic except for emergency, transit and service vehicles is concluded.