Formont racking up singles wins for tennis

By Darwin Minnis

Despite men’s tennis being loaded with experienced seniors, sophomore Simon Formont has stepped into a key role.

With a 16-2 singles record, Formont leads the Huskies in individual wins on the season. He was undefeated on the season before losing in a match against Southern Mississippi March 11.

Formont has also excelled in doubles. He has paired with junior Frederic Cadieux and the duo has gone 11-4. The record is improved from Formont’s 18-16 in doubles play last season. Two weeks ago, they were named MAC doubles team of the week.

“It feels good, but I don’t really care about individual things,” Formont said. “I am more about the team. We have a lot of good players, and I just keep trying to practice and try to keep up with all of them.”

As a sophomore, Formont generally doesn’t go against the competition’s top players, getting matches in the No. 4, 5 and 6, generally. On the season, Formont has gone 7-0 in the No. 6 and 3-0 in the No. 4. His only losses have come in the No. 5, where he is 6-2. Formont’s victories in these positions have been vital to the Huskies’ success.

“He’s been awesome for us even as a freshman,” said head coach Patrick Fisher. “He was put on the spot a lot of times and succeeded. He clinched four big games for us. I had a feeling he was really going to break out this year, and he’s had a lot of success.”

Formont’s success didn’t happen overnight. After a freshman season going 19-13 in singles, he hit the offseason training to improve his game not only physically but also mentally. Having a season where he was put on the spot helped, too.

“I know the atmosphere of the matches,” Formont said. “I learned how to control my emotions and can be better in crucial moments. As for my game, I’m not trying to do crazy stuff. I’m just trying to be consistent and play my game.”

With two years and the rest of this season to go, Formont has time to grow. Fisher doesn’t expect Formont — already leading the team in singles wins as a sophomore — to slow down.

“Next year he will mature and get even better,” Fisher said. “I expect him to play just as well as our top guys this year.”