Letter to the Editor: Participate in gen. ed plan

By Michael Kolb

An editorial cartoon on March 31 depicted students confused about “NIU Plus” and other features of general education reform at NIU. We are delighted that students, and hopefully all constituencies of the of the NIU community, are becoming engaged in thinking about and discussing important shifts in undergraduate curriculum. Confusion is not one of our goals.

The primary goal of the Plus Task Force is to develop a curriculum that will best prepare our graduates for success in their careers, post-graduate education and in all aspects of life.

This relates closely to NIU President Doug Baker’s often-mentioned Student Career Success. NIU has long been committed to liberal education: depth in one discipline as achieved through one’s major, and a road exposure to and appreciation of several other disciplines as achieved through general education.

NIU Plus will build upon these traditional strengths. Through curriculum reforms, this new model will integrate skills and course content to a much greater extent and will ensure a student’s ability to collaborate effectively across disciplines.

This approach to higher education will better prepare today’s — and tomorrow’s — students to adapt to and thrive in a rapidly changing work environment.

This is the inspiration for “Plus.” Visit our website at http://www.niu.edu/plus and examine the materials there. Change is hard. We need your input.