Make best of advisers who want to help

By Kim Randall

This week begins some students’ last-minute scramble to meet with academic advisers for fall registration.

Making advising appointments is important, but making sure you are getting the most out of your appointment is even more critical.

“Advisers are here to help students figure out their academic and future career paths,” said Michelle Pickett, Academic Advising Center director. “They are also here to help students with things outside of class, like study abroad, research and internship opportunities — anything to help students become more enriched during their time here at NIU.”

Each semester, I sit in my adviser’s office for 20 minutes and walk out feeling confused. I go in excited for my classes, but when I leave I’m almost always thinking, “What just happened?”

I discuss scheduling classes, but doing so feels lackluster when all I see is that my adviser can maneuver through the undergraduate course catalog and other items on the NIU website. I’m not here to bash or label all advisers as inadequate, but when a student and an adviser meet, that student should walk out feeling confident his or her education is in good hands.

The feeling I’ve been truly advised isn’t there. I know I’m not the only one. Students shouldn’t leave an appointment with their advisers confused or unsure of what they need to do to succeed.

“I am always constantly amazed at the number of students who do not know how to read their degree-in-progress report,” said English Department adviser Judith Pokorny. “Students really need to take the time to know the features of MyNIU and bring their degree-in-progress report to the meeting with what they don’t understand highlighted. Also, bringing questions would certainly help, as well.”

While it’s the students’ job to be proactive in doing everything they need for their academic success, it’s also imperative for advisers to be the resource students have to help them understand what that success is contingent upon.

Advisers shouldn’t just read the course catalog verbatim to students, but should explain in-depth why they need to take the courses. It helps students better schedule their classes and feel confident in what they’re doing.

“Even though it is not required for students to meet with an adviser, I always strongly encourage students to do so anyway,” Pickett said. “Advisers are a resource here for students, and students should see them as such whether they need to discuss course scheduling or an issue relating to financial aid. They are here for you.”