Men’s golf looks to shake off early-season struggles

By Zack Thompson

Men’s golf rough start to the season continued last week at the General Hackler Championship in Murrells Inlet, S.C.

The Huskies began spring break at the General Hackler Championship and opened the tournament with 36 holes on the first day, concluding the tournament with 18 holes on the second day.

Freshman Caulen Coe led the way for the Huskies on the first day when he shot a 36-hole total of 158, which left him in a tie for 47th. Freshman Jake Curwin was the second-best for the Huskies with a total of 162. Freshman Pierrick Fillon and Junior Liam White each shot a 36-hole total of 166 and freshman Raphael Denais was just a stroke behind them with a total of 167.

The Huskies were in 12th place after the first day. Head coach Tom Porten said the main reason the Huskies were at the bottom of the leaderboard is because they fell apart while putting.

“We have a young team with lots of inexperience that gets exposed on and around the greens,” Porten said, according to a news release. “We have taken steps forward and we are on the green with regularity now, but it doesn’t show up in the scoreboard because we just have struggled on the green.”

The second day wasn’t much better for the Huskies, as they finished the tournament in 12th place overall. White led the Huskies on day two with a round of 76. White had 14 pars to go along with two birdies, but a triple bogey at the 11th hole cost him.

“Liam [White] played 17 quality holes,” Porten said, according to a news release. “He just made one mistake that cost him, but he came back and played his last three in one-under to finish with a 76, so that was encouraging.”

The Huskies continued tournament play at the Talis Park Challenge Sunday and will conclude today at Talis Park Golf Club in Naples, Fla. The tournament is hosted by Ball State.

The Huskies will have the same lineup as they did last weekend, and Porten said the improvement he’s seen in practice will make this tournament better than the last.

“We had a couple of terrific days of practice on the east coast of Florida and then came over here last night,” Porten said, according to a news release. “I feel like we are ready to right the ship from last weekend. We played with [Jerry] Rich [of Rich Harvest Farms] on Friday morning in Delray Beach and shot a 289, one-over par, as a team.”