Track and field impresses at Indiana Relays

Track and field made the most out of its largest meet of the season this weekend when it visited Bloomington, Ind., for the Indiana Relays.

In their third non-scoring meet of the season, the Huskies put up several personal-best performances, and they had another automatic qualifier for the MAC Indoor Championship.

Over the two-day event, more than 1,200 athletes took to the track or competed in the field events portion of competition.

On Friday, four Huskies ended the day with career bests.

“The first day of competition resulted in several competitive performances,” said head coach Connie Teaberry in a news release.

“Our distance athletes, Ali [Olson] and Meghan [Heuer], had huge PRs. Claudette [Day] and Latesha [Bigby] both advanced to the semifinals of the 60 hurdles and should run faster tomorrow. Overall, the staff is pleased with the events contested thus far.”

Distance runner Olson beat her career-best mark in the mile by eight seconds, running a 5:02.45. Olson’s time placed her fifth out of 36 runners.

Heuer set a career best in the 3,000-meter run. Her 9:59.93 time was nearly 13 seconds better than her previous best in the event.

In shot put, freshman Tyra Bickham set a career best in the event with a toss of 43-07.00, which was tied for 21 out of 31. Junior Sidra Sherrill placed eighth out of 31 participants in the shot put with a distance of 46-08.75.

Freshman Claudette Day highlighted the second day of events. She tied the NIU record of 18-08.50 in the long jump, finishing seventh out of 47 contestants in the event.

In the invitational 5,000-meter run, senior Juliane Totzke and redshirt freshman Leah Raffety each had career-best times. Totzke set a personal record by nearly 19 seconds, running a 17:31.56 to place fifth out of 16 runners.

Raffety timed in at 17:49.18, which ended up being 27 seconds better than her old mark, as she took seventh place.

Junior Julie Cronin also beat her personal record in the 800 meters. Cronin ran a 2:17.42 to place ninth.

Sophomore Hannah Savage won her heat with a time of 2:19.25, which placed her 16th.

Senior Rebecca Cronin has a tough 800-meter run. She led the field through the first 600 meters, but she tripped and fell at the 750-meter mark.

The 4×400 relay team took seventh out of 19 with a time of 3:49.92. Bigby, freshman A’Iesha Irvin-Muhammad, freshman Tahtyana Peer and Julie Cronin ran during the relay.