Faculty featured in recital series

By Allison Krecek

Music professor Mark Ponzo helped create the Fox Valley Orchestra’s Principal Recital series — which began on Sunday — to feature the orchestra’s best players.

Ponzo and music professor JeongSoo Kim performed in the first event of the series Sunday. Ponzo created the Principal Recital series to allow the community to listen to free music, among other things.

“The series gave us a chance to have the strongest and most advanced players work together in a different setting in the whole orchestra,” Ponzo said. “It also gives us a chance to promote the orchestra in public and say, ‘Here are our best players.’”

The concert started at 2 p.m. Sunday and was held at the New England Congregational Church, 406 W. Galena Blvd. in Aurora. The Principal Recital series features some of the best performers from the Fox Valley Orchestra.

“This series was created so there would be an opportunity for our principal players to perform, and we get to promote the organization and the opportunities we have to offer to the community, as well,” said Jonathan Hauser, president of the Fox Valley Orchestra.

Bringing the community together was a key aspect for Ponzo. Ponzo and Hauser think music can bring people together and create a mutual respect for the art.

“Because of the series we can create more arts appreciators, and we’re attempting to spread more quality cultural arts around the community,” Hauser said.

Students like Charlotte Cloyd, senior communicative disorders major, think the free public concert series would be good for students to attend.

“I’m all for free public concerts because I think it’s really important to have that exposure to different artists, to get a different cultural aspects and experiences that go along with it,” Cloyd said. “For college students it’s hard to pay for concerts, so having a free concert is right up their alley.”

Because the concerts are free there are only two scheduled so far; however, Ponzo hopes the community will donate to allow them to perform more concerts throughout the year.

More concerts mean extra work for Ponzo and the rest of the performers, but Ponzo said he doesn’t mind.

“I think it’s working together with all of our colleagues in a smaller setting and working on solos and duets and trios and small ensembles, that’s the best part,” Ponzo said.