Women’s soccer has 11 new recruits

By Steve Shonder

Women’s soccer (6-11-3, 4-5-2 MAC) brought in another strong freshman class for National Signing Day.

The Huskies added 11 players to the team to replace nine departing seniors. The focus was on midfielders, with six members of the class playing that position, but there are also two defenders, two forwards and one goalkeeper in the class.

They’re joining a team that has high expectations after back-to-back MAC tournament appearances, with first round exits in each season.

Head coach John Ross was pleased with the class and believes it’s one of the best in the MAC.

“They are very talented,” Ross said. “I would put this class against any in the Midwest. They’re some very high profile players with huge upsides. They’ve already bonded over recruiting trips and camps. They’ll be a close group over four years.”

Last season’s freshmen yielded immediate on-field contributions. Freshman Alex Elias was named MAC All-Freshman, while freshman Jess Wooldridge was tied for second on the team in goals scored with three.

“I think everyone has the potential to contribute,” Ross said. “Everyone has the opportunity to contribute right away. I expect that of them.”

Amy Annala is expected to challenge freshman Riley Riordan for the chance to replace former All-MAC goalkeeper Amy Carr. Incoming defenders Taylor Fuderer and Cassidy Page will be taked with working to strengthen one of the best defenses in the MAC.

Nine members of the incoming class come from Illinois, while one comes from Wisconsin and one from Minnesota.

“The Chicago area has some of the best talent in the nation,” Ross said in a new release. “I feel it’s at least top three. We wanted to take advantage of our location and bring in that top talent.”