Women’s soccer bounces back against Lewis

By Sam Bauman

The women’s soccer (2-1-0) team played twice this weekend and had a flair for the dramatics Sunday.

Friday’s game at Purdue (2-2-0) was a 4-1 loss that was fraught with rain delays. The second game, on Sunday, featured the Huskies edging the Lewis University Flyers (0-1-0) in a double overtime thriller.

Friday, the Huskies traveled to Purdue to face the Boilermakers. The game, slated to start at 6 p.m., was delayed until 7:30 p.m. due to rain, but that wasn’t be the only delay. At the 72nd minute the game was delayed again for weather, and action didn’t start back up until after 10 p.m..

The long match caused fatigue, especially for the Huskies, and NIU was unable to come back from an early 2-0 deficit. The defense, which had been solid early this season, gave up four goals in a 4-1 loss, the only Huskie goal coming from Lauren Noonan in the 50th minute.

After a bad defensive performance Friday, head coach John Ross was looking for more from his defense.

“We have to look at everything in back,” Ross said. “We’re not where we need to be on defense right now. We need to look at everything.”

On Sunday, it was clear the Purdue game had taken its toll on the Huskies in their match against Lewis.

“We were very fatigued,” Ross said. “The Purdue game took a lot out of us. We came out very flat. We were tired right off the bat.”

The Huskies certainly started slow. In the 14th minute NIU surrendered a goal to Lewis freshman forward Meg Carmody, who fired a shot over senior goalkeeper Amy Carr. The Huskies were unable to tally a shot on goal until freshman Alex Elias took a pass from senior Kaylee Heller in the 40th minute. Hellertook the ball deep to the right corner of the field before passing to Elias, who positioned herself right in front of the net and beat the Lewis goalkeeper, Arianna Nie, to the right side of the goal.

The game was tied until the 117th minute in double overtime. In a nearly identical play to the Huskies’ first goal, senior Frances Boukidis fired a pass to senior Cori Frankenberg, who beat Nie to her right side.

NIU managed to edge out a rested Lewis team through its own fatigue. Lewis head coach Chris Koenig was impressed with his team’s endurance as well as the matchup with NIU.

“I wasn’t concerned with where we were from a physical standpoint,” Koenig said. “We came in with a good mentality, Northern’s a good team and they gave us a good battle. We had a little bit of a breakdown at the end, but overall I’m happy with our performance.”