SA senate works outside of Sunday meeting

By Dillon Domke

Dillon Domke

Student Association Senate speaker, sophomore finance major

I would like to take a moment to reflect upon the Perspective column written this past Monday about the Senate’s Super Bowl cancellation.

First and foremost, I do realize there are many problems that need fixing in the university. Whether it is voter turnout, student fees or any other problems that exist, I guarantee the Student Association will always be there for students. As for this past Sunday, the Perspective column was very surprising.

Cancelling one senate meeting does not mean work is not being done. We have committees that meet every week outside of our Sunday Senate meeting, each of which is tasked with resolving university problems. In these committees, the true work of the Senate is being done.

I have spoken before about senators contributing and working outside of Sunday’s meetings. This is key to the success of the SA, because what is done while we are not in a formal meeting truly matters.

The Sunday meetings are important, but not for the perceived reasons. None of the research or development of any issue is done on Sunday. These formal meetings are a way to present educated ideas about issues, allow public discussion and vote on plans that have already been researched and developed.

While vital decisions are made during these meetings, in the end, discussion is just “talk,” and everyone can talk.

The work done outside of the Sky Room on Sunday is where our senators “walk the walk” in an effort to help NIU.