Students talk MLK legacy

Cherifat Nola, senior political science major, took part in the diversity discussion sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning. The event was held Tuesday night in the Holmes Student Center as part of a week-long celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday on Monday.

By Jack Manning

Students and community members reflected on a photo about the march from Selma to Montgomery during a discussion about Martin Luther King Jr. Tuesday in the Holmes Student Center.

The discussion detailed King Jr.’s accomplishments throughout his lifetime. During a period of reflection, attendants were asked to engage in discussion. The discussion was sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning.

“[King] really invested his time in equality between races, poverty and anti-violence, so I think those things are really important to remember and reflect upon,” said Erin Holman, the office’s graduate assistant.

Attendees were asked to share their views on equality in an atmosphere where there would be no hatred or judgment from others.

“The most inspirational part to me was when I was able to hear the different thoughts, ideas theories hopes and dreams coming from each individual that was here,” said Rev. Anthony Isom Sr., District Sunday School superintendent.

A poem, “A Bed for the Night” by David Rieff, was handed out at the beginning of the discussion. Attendants were asked to give their opinions about the poem and its meaning. The poem is about a man who provides shelter for the homeless.

“I enjoyed reading the poem. I thought that going into detail and listening to other people speak on the different issues and what the words meant in the different stanzas was interesting,” said Roechell Isom, senior family individual development with civic engagement major.

A photograph from the march from Selma to Montgomery was also handed out to be reflected upon. The group was prompted not to give the literal meaning behind the photo such as where it was taken, but instead how it affected them personally.

“I like that it brought us all together of different races, that to me was central,” said graduate biology student Clare Kron.