NIU makes transfer deal

NIU President Doug Baker spoke about the reverse transfer agreement between Kishwaukee College and NIU Friday at the Visitors Center of Kishwaukee Community College.

By James Green

Students transferring from Kishwaukee College can now complete their associate’s while earning their degrees at NIU, with more community colleges joining that list in the future.

NIU President Doug Baker and Kishwaukee College President Tom Choice signed a reverse transfer agreement Friday. The reverse transfer agreement allows Kishwaukee College students who transferred to NIU without finishing their associate’s to fulfill the two-year degree’s requirements with NIU course credits.

The arrangement comes at no cost to students, and Baker said completing one’s associate’s degree can have a variety of benefits, like looking good on applications for jobs and scholarships. Baker also said it was a matter of giving students what they deserve for their hard work.

“It’s almost a justice issue,” Baker said. “[Students] shouldn’t be punished for wanting to begin their four-year degrees.”

Sedgwick Harris, Kishwaukee College Student Services vice president, and Jerry Montag, NIU Records and Registration director, have worked together over the year to organize the agreement, which had begun under the administration of NIU’s previous president, John Peters.

“Once we connected it was one of those ‘Aha!’ moments,” Harris said.

Harris said that last year 65 to 75 percent of Kishwaukee’s graduates transferred to NIU, and roughly 300 other students did so without completing their associate’s.

“The whole idea is what can satisfy both NIU and your school’s requirements, so you can get both degrees,” Montag said. “These credentials show your drive and initiative to future employers.”

Montag said similar policies are in the works for other community colleges. An agreement with Waubonsee Community College is already finished, while agreements with McHenry County College and Rock Valley College are to be finalized in February, Montag said.