Student arrested after police find drugs in res. hall room

By Northern Star Staff

A student was arrested for drug-related charges Thursday morning, according to a release from the NIU Police Department.

Ryan Castner, 19, of Naperville, was arrested at 3:27 a.m. and charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance, unlawful possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, unlawful possession of 30 to 500 grams of cannabis, unlawful possession of 30 to 500 grams of cannabis with intent to deliver and unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia, according to the police department’s release.

NIU police made the arrest after receiving a tip. Police found 157 grams of weed, 1.3 grams of heroin, 24 ecstasy pills and drug paraphernalia in the student’s residence hall room in Stevenson North, said Cmdr. Don Rodman.

The paraphernalia included a burnt spoon, pipes and an unused hypodermic syringe, Rodman said. Castner attempted to throw some items out the window, Rodman said, and officers later found the items on the ground below.

University officials have banned Castner from campus while awaiting the outcome of a judicial review process.

“Selling illicit drugs endangers the safety and well-being of the campus community and has no place at NIU,” NIU Police Chief Thomas Phillips said in the release. “…Any person found in possession or distributing cannabis or controlled substances on NIU property may be subject to discipline up to and including expulsion from NIU [and] termination from employment in addition to any criminal charges that can be brought.”