Use break to plan for improvement

By Gina Lorusso

This semester has come with its ups and downs, academically and otherwise. No matter the case, classes are just about over and there were probably things we would all have liked to do differently.

Whether we have regrets from classes we could’ve done better in or opportunities we should’ve taken, the good news is after winter break there’s a whole new semester to better ourselves. We should take advantage of the fresh start spring semester will bring.

So what can we do different this time around? How can we better ourselves?

“I feel like I need to hit the library and study harder than I did this semester,” said sophomore biology major Mark Schultz.

I’m sure this is many students’ resolution once we ring in the New Year and the spring semester. Personally, I need to set aside certain time to get things done more efficiently. Luckily, there is still time to prepare for finals thanks to the library, which has hours until midnight regularly and usually extends them during finals week so students can cram for their exams.

Another thing students can improve is time management. College gives us way more responsibility to get our schedules all figured out.

“After break I would like to create a weekly study schedule,” said sophomore accounting major Brianna Gaskin. “I feel like I need to do better in setting aside time to review what I’m learning in my classes.”

Written agendas and dry erase calendars can help all of us stay on track with deadlines. Little habits like these can help us improve the way we schedule social plans, too, so they don’t interfere too badly with our class schedules.

“I really want to improve my resume this upcoming semester,” said sophomore business major Jason Mealer. “I also want to get bigger for Tugs.”

Getting healthy is one of the hardest goals to keep up with, but with the right dedication and motivation it can be done. I know it’s hard to pass up the fries and cheeseburgers, but to stay on track you have to build up the will power.

No matter what your new semester resolutions are, just remember that you made them for a reason: to improve and better yourself.

Starting them up is the hardest part, but achieving them can be simple as day.