Future students check prospects

By James Green

Potential students got an introduction to NIU at the semester’s last open house Monday at the Holmes Student Center.

The event was held in the Duke Ellington Ballroom, where representatives from NIU’s departments, organizations and all of its colleges set up informational booths. Aside from providing students with information, the open house also offered tours of the campus and buses to the residence halls.

Ted Campbell, undergraduate admissions assistant director of tours and events, believes the open house provided a chance for prospective students to learn more about NIU in a structured environment.

“It’s an opportunity for students to get a good look at what NIU has to offer. As opposed to having students come and do their own digging, we bring tons of departments to them,” Campbell said. “All the colleges were here, and a lot of the academic programs and student services were here, so students could get a feel for what NIU’s like.”

Campbell said the biggest advantage students get from the open house events is they get information about what they need or want to know.

“If they want to learn more about academics, for example, they have the opportunity, and if they want to find out what the next steps are they can,” Campbell said. “They really have the option to learn whatever they want.”

The Veterans Day open house also took advantage of technology, Campbell said. The event showed students how to look up programs on their phones and had presentations aimed toward first-generation students. Campbell said organizers always try to build upon previous events and will take feedback from this Monday’s open house when planning the next one in the spring.

Although the next open house will be targeted toward high school juniors, events like Monday’s are open to everyone. Students can attend to learn more about groups, but the events are focused on potential students. Brandi Watson, a prospective student with an undecided major, said she found Monday’s open house helpful.

“I knew I was interested about coming here, but I really wanted to solidify that interest,” Watson said. “The open house made me feel like I actually wanted to be here.”

Rebekah Tuttle, another prospective student, isn’t as sure about her future at NIU, but said the open house made her feel welcome.

“I’m more interested than I was before, definitely,” Tuttle said. “I learned a lot, but what really got me convinced was the feel of the campus. I feel like there are a lot of opportunities here.”