Domke takes Senate’s top spot

Senator Dillon Domke told the Student Association Senate at its meeting Sunday that he wants to focus on increasing student involvement as a way to improve NIU’s retention rate. Domke was elected as the spring Senate speaker.

By Shaz Sheikhali

Dillon Domke was elected as the spring Student Association Senate speaker at the group’s Sunday meeting.

Domke took 17 votes to beat Senator Ben Donovan’s 12 votes and Senator Alonte Holliday’s two votes. Senators Brandon Phillips and Cassie Dodd had zero votes.

“I think we had a good, honest competition of who the best candidates are,” said Mike Theodore, SA chief of staff. “I think Dillon Domke is going to be a great speaker. I know there won’t be a problem with home working with any of us next semester….

“We couldn’t have asked for a better outcome. I am looking forward to next semester.”

As speaker, Domke will manage the Senate, which is one of the three branches of the SA. The speaker also stays in contact with the executive branch of SA and discusses objectives with the leaders there.

Domke plans to use the RHA’s community advisers to increase student involvement.

Domke also wants to get more commuter students involved with student groups. He said improving student involvement will increase retention and enrollment rates.

“It’s not about what I want to do. It’s about what the students want to do,” Domke said. “I feel great. I am more excited about Fresno [falling behind NIU in the BCS rankings]. It is the cherry on the cake.”

Other business

SA Trustee Elliot Echols spoke to Senate, saying his goal is to resolve issues with the Recreation Center.

John Butler, chair of the Board of Trustees, also spoke; he told the senators they are the stewards of shared governance.

In State Rep. Tom Demmer’s address to the SA, he spoke about the Legislative Assistant Program. The program aims to provide students with professional skills, research experience and exposure to a wide variety of occupations. Legislative assistants have various responsibilities, like responding to constituent concerns, assisting constituents with state issues and handling community outreach initiatives.

Demmer said one does not have to be a political science major to apply to the program. The applications can be found on his website, tomdemmer.com.

“We want this to be an experience that benefits you and your district,” Demmer said.