Buckle up for the holidays

Police+authority

Police authority

By Stoney Stone

In an preventative effort to curb reckless behavior, local officers are planning roadside safety checkpoints throughout the Thanksgiving weekend.

Officers will check for seat belt use as Illinois law requires

all passengers in a vehicle to wear a seat belt. According to the

Illinois Department of Transportation website, about 900 fatalities have occurred on Illinois roadways this year.

While the Department of Transportation attributes these deaths to more than just drunk drivers and seat belt violators, police departments are taking a proactive approach to preventing these offenses from claiming more lives Thanksgiving weekend.

In DeKalb, city and campus police are gearing up for the holiday weekend and the influx of visitors

to the area for the Illinois High School Association football championship games this weekend at

Huskie Stadium.

Chad McNett, DeKalb community relations officer, said roadside safety checkpoints will help

prevent the holidays from becoming a tragedy.

“Ideally everyone passes through the checkpoints in 60 seconds, we say ‘hello’ and send them on their way,” McNett said. “But it doesn’t always go that way.”

McNett said although he isn’t sure of the exact plan, there will be one in place for further questioning, “something like every third car,” in order to avoid claims that people were targeted.

The roadside safety checkpoints are funded through grants provided by the Illinois Department of

Transportation. All cars that pass through the checkpoints will be checked for seat belts, valid insurance, signs of intoxication and any other potential issues.

“Accidents are bad enough, but to have something happen on a holiday would then become a constant reminder [to those affected], this is the impetus behind everything,” McNett added.

NIU Police Cmdr. Jason John wanted to remind students that NIU’s late-night ride service will still be available throughout the holidays. John encourages students who have too much to drink to take advantage of the service.

Elisabeth Wright, graduate nonprofit management student, plans to take advantage of the opportunity provided by the holiday to see familiar faces.

“I’ll probably go out with some friends on Wednesday because everyone flocks home for the holidays,” Wright said. “I don’t normally drink a lot anyway, but if I do, I’ll make sure I don’t drive myself home.”