Pitch changes as women’s a cappella begins at NIU

By Josh Alfrey

DeKalb | A passion for music comes to life with NIU’s new women’s a cappella group, the Northern Notes.

The Northern Notes are NIU’s first all-woman a cappella team, and the singers aim to make an impact on campus by sharing their love of music. After being recognized by the university, the group of 16 is more than ready to put in the work for its first semester.

“It’s a pretty common thing to love music,” said Jaclyn Fowler, Northern Notes vice president and sophomore math education major. “What [Northern Notes President] Emily Rehmer and I started is a new way for non-music or music majors to be able to gather and create music we all love.”

The Northern Notes’ first performance isn’t too far off, as the women plan to go holiday caroling around campus with the Huskie Hunks Dec. 6.

“We are in a great position moving forward as a team,” said freshman vocal major Robyn Simpson. “We’ve been working hard every week to be where we want to be when our first performance comes.”

Despite having different backgrounds in singing and a cappella, the women come together to improve as individuals and as a team.

“The best part about being in this group is sharing what we love with people on campus,” Fowler said. “Music is my passion, and having it in common with everyone else is truly a gift, and that’s why we’re getting together to share it.”

NIU a cappella has become a way for the group’s women to expand their horizons in the world of music.

“I auditioned because I wanted to try something new,” said senior biology major Sara Rowe. “I have been involved a cappella groups in the past, and this was a great chance to get involved with music on campus.”

Bringing their passion to everyone on campus has become one of the performers’ major goals. Northern Notes stay true to this goal by bringing together music lovers of all areas of study.