Breaking Down Central Michigan

By Frank Gogola

After football (6-0, 2-0 MAC) survived a scare from the Akron Zips, the Huskies will travel to Mount Pleasant, Mich., to square off with the injury-laden Central Michigan Chippewas (3-4, 2-1 MAC) 2 p.m. Saturday. The Chippewas most recently knocked off the Ohio Bobcats (4-2, 1-1 MAC), 26-23, on the road. The Huskies’ last road loss and last conference loss both came on Oct. 1, 2011, at Central Michigan. Sports reporter Frank Gogola will break down the Chippewas.

Quarterback: Cooper Rush

Redshirt freshman quarterback Cooper Rush has started the last six games for the Chippewas after junior Cody Kater broke his clavicle in the season opener. The 6-foot-3, 216-pound quarterback has had a rough going is in his first year at the helm of the Chippewa offense. Rush has thrown for 1,304 yards this season, completing 54.8 percent of his passes. His touchdown-to-interception ratio is not that impressive, as he has thrown nine touchdowns compared to nine interceptions. Of his nine touchdown passes, he threw three against Ohio, including a 5-yarder with 22 seconds remaining, giving CMU a 26-23 upset of Ohio.

Running Back: Saylor Lavallii

Sophomore running back Saylor Lavallii has been a one-man wrecking crew on the ground in the absence of senior Zurlon Tipton, who broke an ankle in the season opener. The 5-foot-9, 213-pound running back played in all 13 games as a true freshman and all seven games this season. Lavallii has rushed for a team-high 730 yards and a team-best five touchdowns. He is also fourth on the team with 11 receptions for 62 yards and one touchdown. He posted career-highs in rushing attempts (26) and rushing yards (184) against Ohio, and had three runs of 30 yards or more.

Wide Receiver: Titus Davis

Junior wide receiver Titus Davis has been arguably the most explosive player for the Chippewas. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound wideout missed the Ohio game with what the team called an “upper body” injury, but he is listed as probable against the Huskies. Davis leads the team in catches (29), receiving yards (518) and receiving touchdowns (four). If he can go Saturday, the Huskie secondary will have their hands full trying to contain him. He has caught at least two passes in every game he has played this season and has had at least one reception in all 30 games he has played at CMU.

Offensive Line: Andy Phillips

Junior left guard Andy Phillips has been a key anchor on the offensive line after senior left tackle Jake Olson broke his wrist in the second game and was lost for the season. The 6-foot-3, 306-pound left guard has started 24 consecutive games, five at center and the last 19 at left guard. Phillips was elected by his teammates as one of four team captains for CMU this season. Quarterback Rush may be in for a long day, as the CMU offensive line has allowed a MAC-high 22 sacks in seven games, while the NIU defense has posted 19 sacks, third most in the MAC.

Defensive Line: Jeremy Gainer

Senior defensive end Jeremy Gainer has been a huge addition to the Chippewas’ defensive line. The 6-foot-2, 235-pound left defensive end spent four seasons — including a redshirt season — at Michigan State University. He moved to CMU in late June after he graduated from MSU and still had one year of eligibility remaining. Gainer has started at left defensive end in all seven games this season, and his 24 total tackles are second among CMU defensive linemen. He has posted five tackles for loss and two sacks. He has also recorded two pass breakups, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Linebacker: Justin Cherocci

Junior linebacker Justin Cherocci has been a tackling machine for the Chippewas. The 6-foot, 231-pound linebacker posted a team-high 132 total tackles last season and recorded a nation-best 89 assisted tackles en route to being named CMU’s Co-Defensive Player of the Year. Cherocci’s 73 total tackles are tied for the MAC lead and are fifth in the nation. He leads the team in tackles for loss (seven) and sacks (three). He has also recorded two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. The Huskies will need to know where he is at all times and make sure to hold on the ball.

Secondary: Kavon Frazier

Sophomore safety Kavon Frazier knows how to take the ball away. The 6-foot, 213-pound defensive back leads the team with three interceptions and four pass breakups. Frazier has also forced one fumble and recovered one fumble. In the second quarter against Ohio he forced a fumble and then picked off a pass on the following drive; he was named MAC West Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Ohio. He is fourth on the team with 47 tackles. Frazier’s coverage may force Lynch to look to the other side of the field for a receiver.

Special Teams: Richie Hogan

Senior punter Richie Hogan is in his third season as CMU’s starting punter. The 6-foot-2, 207-pound punter can surely boom his kicks and alter field position. Hogan has averaged 43.3 yards per punt this season, which is fourth in the MAC. He has forced six fair catches and has placed 10 of his 36 punts inside the 20-yard line. He has blasted seven punts longer than 50 yards and booted a 67-yard punt in the season opener. Whether he decides to punt to or away from the Huskies could mean a huge difference in field position.