Feed’em, New Hall collect canned goods

By Allison Krecek

While people are gearing up to collect candy, students went out to collect canned goods for those in need.

The Trick or Treat So Others Can Eat collection was arranged with Feed’em Soup, 122 S. First St., a community project that provides food to people at all income levels. Students met in the New Hall and then traveled to nearby homes to collect canned goods for charity. New Hall Council member Brandon Pugh, sophomore community leadership engagement major, was happy to help create the event.

“It was a group effort to come up with something to do that was philanthropic through hall council for the month of October,” Pugh said. “So we figured now it’s closer to the holidays and people deserve to eat, so we decided that we would go throughout DeKalb and see what canned food we can collect.”

Students who participated went door to door asking for any spare canned goods. Nathan Bentley, freshman business and secondary education major, thought the community seemed happy to help.

“…We walked up to [someone] and [they] were like ‘Oh, somebody actually does that,’ and their faith in humanity was slightly restored,” Bentley said.

Freshman undecided major Rebecca McInerney was happy to participate and help out in the community.

“I think Trick or Treat So Others Can Eat is a great way for Northern to help out the community and to help those that need help this season,” McInerney said. “I’m having a good time and I think people are more than happy to help out if they can…. I’m glad to be out helping people.”