Fit Club saves dollars, sheds pounds

By Rachel Scaman

Looking to get in shape this year? The Huskie Fitness Club has workout and diet plans to cater to student and faculty needs.

The club started off the semester with a new workout plan for university members who are looking to shed a few extra pounds.

“The Fit Club is for people who want to start on a workout regimen that’s pretty routine or to get to a place where they can get results,” said Eric Appiah, assistant director of Fitness and Wellness.

Appiah said new members come in and have a one-on-one consultation with a trainer to figure out what their needs are and then put them on a fitness program.

Members of the Huskie Fit Club will work with a trainer twice a week and a dietitian to make sure their eating habits are on point. The members are monitored throughout the semester.

“We give them homework and cardio exercises to do to try to help them lose weight,” said Appiah.

Appiah said each member’s workout is tailored to their needs.

For students, joining the club is $175 for the semester. The cost includes working with a trainer twice a week, creating a cardio plan and consulting a dietitian. For faculty and staff the cost to join is $200 for the semester. Appiah said personal trainers outside of the Recreation Center will charge $50 to $60 for one session.

“We wanted students to be able to get results without having to pay an arm and a leg,” said Appiah.

Members can also attend NIU fitness classes for Zumba, body combat, yoga and more. The cost for these classes is $70 for the semester or $110 for the year. Students may attend an unlimited amount of fitness classes.

Each session is an hour long and keeps burning off calories even after the workout has stopped.

“Sometimes when you do a workout on your own the minute you’re done, the calories that you’ve burned stop right there,” said Appiah. “With this type of workout we increase your metabolism so by the time you’re done your body works more to burn off more calories.”

Junior nursing major Sophie Forcioli said it is important for students to have other outlets at school beside homework and studying.

“I’m a pass checker, so when people go into fitness classes I make sure they paid,” said Forcioli. “I want to help students and talk to them on a real level. I’m also going to be learning how to teach some of the classes so hopefully by spring I’ll be able to teach or sub some fitness classes.”

Lisa Duffy, sophomore special education major, said she would consider joining the club.

“I think it would be good to get into a regular workout schedule with guided workouts and work with a trainer that knows what they’re doing,” said Duffy.