Marching band gives students a lesson in school spirit 101

By Josh Alfrey

The new students’ first lesson in school spirit 101 was taught by none other than the Huskies Marching Band.

The marching band got involved in Welcome Days by hosting the Band Run. Starting outside the Neptune residence halls at 9:30 a.m., the Huskie Marching Band played the Huskie fight song as the students rubbed the sleep out of their eyes.

The marching band led the new Huskies from Neptune to each residence hall, picking up more and more students throughout the morning.

Hundreds came out to join the band. Many of the students came dressed in their best NIU attire to show school spirit and their excitement for the upcoming semester.

Even with the hundreds of students turning out to show their pride, nothing could match the energy and excitement brought by the members of the Huskie Marching Band. They were just as eager to share their Huskie pride as the students who came out to see them.

“It gets everyone excited for this week,” said John Becker, senior chemistry major and sousaphone player in the marching band. “We help them learn the fight song and raise school spirit. What we put in, we get back.”

Outside of the Stevenson Towers, the marching band taught new students the Huskie fight song. As excited as the marching band members were for the Band Run, they also showed excitement for the upcoming athletic season.

“I am most excited for the football team,” said Ryan DeRose, a junior physics major and Huskie Marching Band sousaphone player. “I hope that they will do really well this year.”

When the students were familiar with the fight song, the marching band kicked back into gear and led them to the Convocation Center where the new students listened to NIU President Doug Baker.

“It’s important for students to hear what President Baker has to say and what to do to succeed in college in the end,” said Mike Smirat, junior rehab services major and Huskie Helper at the Band Run.