Art exhibit displays student work

By Rachel Scaman

The Looking Box art exhibition featured semester-long artwork projects presented by ARTD 469 (Problems in Photography) students.

The exhibition was open Saturday at the Art Annex. Groups of photos taken by the 10 student artists were displayed during the exhibition. Each groups’ photos were related to a concept the artist chose.

Senior photography major Adam Sexton showed photos of food being displayed in unusual ways, like grapes in a popcorn bag.

“It talks about my relationship with food in general,” Sexton said. “It relates to something we have to deal with everyday.”

Tess Cochrane, junior time arts major, said she wants her audience to think about the same things she does when viewing her art.

“I have a lot of questions about the world and why things are the way they are,” Cochrane said. “The way I vocalize those questions is through my work.”

The students developed a body of work based on their chosen concepts while building a portfolio throughout the semester. The exhibition was organized and promoted by the ARTD 469 students. The class is taught by professor Kimberly Turner.

“I gave them a breakdown of how exhibitions are supposed to run,” Turner said. “I gave them guidance on the side, but for the most part they did everything.”

Turner said this was some of the students’ first exhibition, and some continued working on pieces from last semester while others started from scratch.

Cochrane, who had two pieces shown in the exhibition, said one of her pieces took the entire semester to complete.

Turner said all of her students have grown as artists throughout the course.

“Some students were really indecisive at the beginning of the semester,” Turner said. “But after a couple of individual meetings I think they figured out what they were interested in and what sort of work they wanted to make.”

Sexton said having his artwork shown in The Looking Box is starting to establish him as a professional photographer.

“I hope to continue making photographs, and hopefully I get noticed,” Sexton said.

Cochrane, who plans on pursuing a career in animation, said The Looking Box was a great way to get her artwork noticed.

“It’s a good way to have local people come and see what our part of the campus does,” Cochrane said. “It’s a really nice reward, too.”