Softball takes win from top-seeded Ball State

Junior Nicole Gremillion runs to third base on May 5 to help the team win 4-5 against Bowling Green University.

By Matt Hopkinson

In a pitcher’s duel, the softball team knocked off the top-seeded Ball State squad.

Ball State ran out their MAC Freshman of the Year, pitcher Nicole Steinbach, who came in with six shutouts, 19 complete games and a 2.13 ERA. NIU countered with its ace sophomore Emily Norton, who had just pitched a complete game the day before against Miami (Ohio).

The Huskies secured their second victory in the MAC Tournament in as many days against their first No.1-seeded team since losing to Kent State in the 2009-2010 season.

NIU opened the scoring early with a run in the first inning without the benefit of a hit, as senior Amanda Sheppard reached on an error and advanced to second on a passed ball. Sophomore Kristyn Barrett pinch-ran for Sheppard and scored after senior Jennifer Barnett reached on an error.

Ball State tied up the game in the bottom of the fourth with a lead-off home run from junior Jennifer Gilbert. This would be all the runs the Cardinals could manage to secure off of Norton.

Aside from the home run, the closest Ball State would come to pushing another run across was in the bottom of the fifth when Loren Cihlar doubled with two outs, but was left on base as Norton induced a fly-out from the next batter to end the inning.

The sophomore only allowed three hits on the entire day, a feat which NIU head coach Christina Sutcliffe believes is a huge indicator of the pitcher’s skill.

“Emily threw an amazing game,” Sutcliffe said. “To be able to keep the Ball State hitters off-balance the way she did speaks volumes about her work and what she’s capable of doing.”

Heading into the top of the seventh inning still tied up at 1-1, the Huskies were able to replicate their theme once more in coming back in the late innings.

Sophomore Bryanna Phelan led off the inning with a double to left field, but Sheppard and junior Nicole Gremillion popped and flied out, respectively, to leave a runner on second with two outs.

Ball State decided to intentionally walk Barnett to bring up junior Shelby Miller with runners on first and second. Miller singled, scoring Phelan, and Barnett came around to score  after a throwing error. The Huskies then had another good scoring chance as sophomore Jessica Sturm followed up with a walk, but Ashley Kopp struck out swinging to end the inning.

“I think they’re in a tough situation because either JB or Shelby in that situation have been clutch throughout the year,” Sutcliffe said. “They’re trying to set up a force out at third so it’s a little bit easier play if they need it, so strategy-wise I understand it but luckily it worked to our benefit.”

With one final chance to come back, Norton shut the door as she did the entire game. She got one out and then allowed a single to Selena Reyna. The sophomore pitcher then induced a line-out and struck out the final batter of the game looking to wrap up NIU’s second MAC Tournament victory.

Norton believes the victory was a team effort and the decision showed a maturation from the team as a whole compared to earlier in the season when Ball State took the series against the Huskies.

“I know they can take that ball out at any moment so I’m really happy to have a great defense behind me and I’m really excited to see what’s next for us,” Norton said. “It’s so amazing because earlier in the season they swept us. It’s really exciting to see what a different team we are and what our capabilities are now.”

Defeating the No. 1-seeded Ball State pushes that Cardinal squad into an elimination game, but does not take them out of the tournament completely. Despite that, the accomplishment still holds significance and Sutcliffe believes this victory does not do much to alter the confidence her team came in with.

“Our kids have believed in themselves all year long so I don’t think we need these wins to prove ourselves,” Sutcliffe said. “We came here knowing what we could do and I’m just happy to see them doing it.”