NIU holds memorial service for former student

NIU social worker Kim Cecil views photographs of Danielle Marie Pisterzi on Sunday at the memorial for her in which a scholarship in her honor was announced in the Barsema Visitor & Alumni Center.

By Julia Boyle

A memorial service remembering Danielle Pisterzi was held at 5 p.m. Sunday in the Barsema Alumni Visitor Center.

Pisterzi was a senior accountant major with an internship at Warady & David LLP accountancy firm. She died in a car accident on Feb. 9.

The service featured a slideshow made by Pisterzi’s friends and words from her friends and family. The student accountancy society, Warady & David LLP, the accountancy department and friends have created the Danielle Marie Pisterzi Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship will be presented to an exceptional NIU accountancy graduate each year starting in fall 2013.

The Pisterzi family was thankful for what was done in remembrance of their daughter.

“I’m just in awe that the people of the university were able to get this together so quickly,” said Pisterzi’s father, Frank Pisterzi. “It’s quite an honor. I’m humbled.”

Linda Matuszewski, accountacy professor and adviser, said the event was organized by Pisterszi’s friends from the accountancy program who also were on internships.

“Many of her friends were not on campus at the time of her death,” Mastuzewski said. “They have raised funds for a scholarship in her name. They wanted $25,000. They have exceeded that amount.”

Friends from the student accountancy society exceeded that goal with the help of Warady & Davis LLP and the accountacy department after Pisterzi’s death.

“Danielle was a person who always knew how to make you smile no matter what the circumstances,” said senior accounting major Margo Abraham.

Senior accounting major Melissa Sommerfield said Pisterzi was a driven, focused person.

“She overcame all challenges in accountancy,” Sommerfield said. “There was always a smile on her face.”