“Arranging Nature” exhibit comes to NIU

By Erin Kolb

Dead insects are livening up NIU School of Art’s Jack Olson Gallery. The exhibit called “Arranging Nature” features artistically arranged dead insects that were pinned to the walls in various patterns by University of Wisconsin-Madison Design Studies professor, Jennifer Angus.

The exhibit is open to the public now through Feb. 28,

Undergraduate gallery assistant Laura Alwin has heard student reaction to the work shown.

“Most people say ‘ew,’ and then they ask if the bugs are real,” she said. “People are definitely surprised.”

The insects are, in fact, real. Angus purchases the insects, which are already dead and dried, from a specimen dealer. She then uses humidity chamber to make the insects soft enough to move and keep in a certain stance.

Mitch Kazuk, senior broadcast journalism major, said he was impressed with the work shown.

“At first, I was kind of grossed out by the idea but curious to see how the artist could make insects look artistic,” he said. “After seeing the exhibit, I was definitely surprised by the way everything ended up looking so interesting and visually attractive.”

Angus acknowledges the negative opinion of insects, and wants to change the negative stigmas adults have about insects, according to the gallery’s brochure.

Undergraduate gallery assistant Brandon Barber said displaying insects is Angus’s main focus.

The Olsen Gallery exhibit was chosen through a process the gallery uses whenever choosing new exhibits. According to Barber, the gallery sends out calls to artists who then send in proposals with written explanations and photos of the work to be displayed.

“Arranging Nature” will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to noon on Friday. The exhibit opened Jan. 18 and will run through Feb. 28. It will take place at the Visual Arts Building’s Olson Gallery, Room 200.