Pikes face temporary university sanctions

By Northern Star Staff

The Office of Community Standards & Student Conduct at Northern Illinois University has issued temporary sanctions to the Eta Nu Chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pikes) fraternity, according to an NIU news release.

According to the release, the sanctions are a result of an investigation by NIU officials into alleged violations by the fraternity of the university’s Student Code of Conduct.

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity has been issued the temporary sanction of temporary and immediate loss of recognized student organization status which prohibits them from conducting chapter business on or off campus. In addition to the university sanctions, the international office of the Pi Kappa Alpha International fraternity has administratively suspended the Eta Nu Chapter’s charter, according to the release.

On Friday, the body of NIU student David Bogenberger was found in the fraternity house. Bogenberger was pronounced dead by the DeKalb County coroner that day.

DeKalb Police Lt. Jason Leverton said there were no obvious signs of foul play and no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. Leverton said police found evidence of alcohol use near Bogenberger’s body, and they know he was one of several students invited to the fraternity house Thursday night.