Women’s basketball falls in road match against Bradley

By Jacob Onak

NIU women’s basketball fell 58-67 to the Bradley Braves in Peoria Wednesday.

In the first half, the Huskies (2-3) got off to a slow start against Bradley (4-3) and couldn’t find an offensive rhythm going down 7-2 in the first five minutes.

The rest of the first half was more of the same. Bradley would go on a run while NIU would do just enough to keep the game within 10 points. At the end of the first half, the Huskies found themselves down 26-32.

In the second half the Huskies fought, but the Braves did not give up a lead in the entire 20 minutes despite strong offensive play from NIU sophomore forward Jada Buggs.

At the final whistle Buggs had a game-high 18 points, while sophomore guard Jenna Thorp added in seven points.

Thorp thought the Huskies offense didn’t do a good job of executing all around the court.

“I think they took us out of the swing of things especially on offense,” Thorp said. “We just weren’t playing together as a team inside and out. Once we got to the outside post and played we did all right, but once we got out of that it didn’t go so well for us.”

The Braves backcourt made up the difference though as sophomore guard Shronda Butts had 17 points and five assists, while junior guard Catie O’Leary had 15 points, four rebounds and three assists.

Red shirt sophomore guard Danny Pulliam, who started the game with sophomore guard Amanda Corral out with ankle injury, said the team didn’t do a good job of taking what they learned about Bradley to the court.

“I would say we just, at times, didn’t really pay attention to the scouting report,” Pulliam said. “We knew that they liked to drive and we knew they could throw up and shoot it, so we need to do a better job of taking the scouting report into the game. “

The Huskies will look to bounce back from the loss as they return home on Friday night to take on the Loyola Ramblers (3-2).

The Ramblers are coming off of a 85-53 loss to the Northwestern Wildcats.

Coach Kathi Bennett said the Huskies will need to be prepared for the Ramblers on Friday.

“I feel a tougher mindset for one and just having some poise offensively,” Bennett said. “Being able to spread a team and not panic if they switch. So just having some poise and being able to execute on the offensive end.”