Fall back in love helps couples strengthen bonds

Prospective grad students Erica Bell and Mimi Chiu, 23, direct each other blindfolded through a pumpkin patch in a direct communication exercise conducted by Usmahn Mughni, senior grad student and therapist at the NIU therapy center on Nov. 12, 2012.

By Deanna Frances

Love is in bloom at NIU this season.

NIU’s Family Therapy Clinic hosted Fall Back in Love on Friday in Wirtz Hall. Couples at NIU and in the DeKalb community were invited to strengthen the different aspects of their relationships.

The event was created and run by graduate students in family and child studies. The event consisted of several booths that showed one particular aspect of a relationship. Each booth had facts and an activity to help strengthen that aspect. Some of the booths were called “Be Smarties for Healthy Communication,” “Priorities and Preferences,” “Enhancing Affection through Entertainment” and “Patch of Love.”

The event was created to bring community members and students to the Family Therapy Clinic, located in Wirtz Hall.

“We wanted to have an event for the community to participate in,” said Julie Ramisch, family, consumer and nutrition professor.

Couples of all ages attended.

“I saw it in the paper and thought it sounded interesting,” said DeKalb resident Elaine Cozort.

Dale Cozort, her husband of 25 years, agreed.

“I give it a thumbs up,” he said.