Weekly Spring events

By Deanna Frances

As the spring semester begins and you settle into your new schedule, check out these weekly events in DeKalb for a fun way to spend time after class.

Open Mic at the House Cafe

Locals are given the opportunity to show their talents, or come out and watch other performers at the House Cafe, 263 E. Lincoln Highway. Open Mic starts at 7:30 p.m. every Monday evening and is free to the public.

NIU Spring Jazz Jam Sessions at the House Cafe

The NIU Spring Jam Sessions are hosted by jazz students from the School of Music and provide an opportunity for locals to come out and play jazz music with the students, or even listen to the students as they perform. The jam sessions begin at 8 p.m. every Tuesday night and are free and open to the public.

Pop Culture Trivia Night at Fatty’s Pub and Grille

Pop Culture Trivia Night will be held at 9 p.m. every Wednesday at Fatty’s, 1312 W. Lincoln Highway. Attendees can compete weekly for prizes, and advance to the finals where a competition for the $500 cash grand prize will take place. Drink specials are also offered during trivia hours.

Trivia Night at O’Leary’s Ale House

Trivia Night at O’Leary’s, 260 E. Lincoln Highway, is offered at 8 p.m. every Wednesday evening and has no participation fee. Prizes are offered throughout the evening, and first prize receives $50 cash. Get ready for some friendly trivial competition.