Illinois Chaos Football teams up with local health supplement store, begins fundraising

By Jessi Haish

Chaos ensued at Mardi Gras Lanes, 1730 Sycamore Road, on Saturday night as minor league football players raised funds for their upcoming season.

The Illinois Chaos Minor League Football team hosted a Bowl-A-Rama to offset their overhead costs and to introduce the team’s new sponsor, Top Shelf Supplements, 817 W. Lincoln Highway, a vitamin and health supplement supplier.

Chaos Coach Lloyd Hatcher hopes the team is able to make new connections through the sponsorship and the team’s recent move to DeKalb. “This isn’t just about the team,” Hatcher said. “It’s about building something bigger for everyone involved and the entire community.”

Hatcher is excited about the sponsorship and working with Top Shelf’s owner, JJ Johnson.

“[Johnson] believes in the team,” Hatcher said. “What he does, what we do, it ties together.”

The store’s “Diamond Girls,” a group of twelve girls who work on marketing for Top Shelf, will be cheerleaders for the Chaos football games.

“We are ready to help out,” said Kimberly Sobeski, senior kinesiology major and Diamond Girl. “And hopefully get some fans riled up!”

Roger Votaw of DeKalb, will be trying out for the team in January. Votaw’s last run with football was on the DeKalb high school team in 1990.

“I haven’t played in a long time but I’d really like to make the team,” Votaw said.

The team hopes to celebrate their new season in a new location with a championship in the Great Midwest Football League.

Daniel Cleveland, new recruit and sophomore sociology major, looks forward to earning some highlight tape to show to other colleges and hopefully a championship.

“I’d like to add a new ring to my collection,” Cleveland said with a smile as he showed his high school football championship ring.

Tryouts for Chaos will be held Jan. 20 at Sycamore High School, 555 Spartan Trail in Sycamore. The games are set to begin in June and home games will be played at Huntley Middle School, 1515 S. Fourth St. in DeKalb., and DeKalb High School, 501 W. Dresser Road.

Player and recruiter Chris Mathews is planning on keeping his eye on the prize.

“It’s basically championship or bust,” Mathews said.